Ultimate Blog Challenge

Ultimate Blog Challenge
Participating in...

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fixin’ To

An expression used to put off the inevitable. My kids say in a minute or wait instead of fixin’ to but it means the same thing. Used in many cases to ward off the person who is pestering you about a task or tasks that need to be completed to buy more time.

You ask your spouse to take out the trash. He/she responds “Oh I’m fixin’ to do that.” Yep sure you are, that’s why tomorrow morning I’ll end up with the trash bag in the garage forgotten. The outside trash can is one garage door button lifting the door and 20 steps to the can, then 20 steps back inside to hit the button again to close the door. This is two minutes or less additional time than it took to take the bag out of the can and place it on the garage floor. Repeat to self, I love this person ten times then smile.

Your boss asks you if the reports he needed are completed. You respond, “Oh I was just fixin’ to complete those. You’ll have them this afternoon.” Now this is a totally different fixin’ to. You just bought yourself a few hours to get those done. Pat yourself on the back because now you figured out a way to get in more facebook time. Unless of course something high priority comes up to usurp this process, then you can explain you were in the middle of the reports and were fixin’ to send them but project super secret X came up that had to be done immediately for the CEO.

Why would we put things off instead of doing them right away and getting them off our plate? Is it a distasteful, boring, beneath my level sort of thing that I’m fixin’ to do? Or does fear of what other items will be placed upon us if we complete what we are fixin’ to do too quickly? In my case, I think it is a little of both. If you don’t have someone to hold you to a higher standard then I think it’s human nature to slack a bit to conserve our energy for the things we will need it for.

Today I’m turning over a new leaf to limit my fixin’ to moments. Guess my new motto should be git-r-done now! I’ll close with a great quote I found that sums up why we should quit fixin’ to and simply put a plan in place to get things accomplished.

“Anxiety is caused by a lack of control, organization, preparation, and action.” – David Kekich


Kathie Hitt


Offering Green Solutions for many of life’s challenges. Contact me today for more information on how you can use convenient, natural solutions for less than you are paying now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment