Ultimate Blog Challenge

Ultimate Blog Challenge
Participating in...

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Flashback ~Music Nostalgia

So today I had one of those moments. I was in the car on the way home, and normally there is absolutely nothing good on the radio. Often I am forced to change out cd’s to listen to something worthwhile. However, today I changed the channel and was instantly transported back in time.

I had to turn it up and just sing along. Loverboy’s “Working for the Weekend” was on. I had this vivid image of red vinyl pants in my mind and while I’ll never win any awards for singing, I knew every one of the words. This song was very popular when I was in high school. I never had really decent looking cars, but I always had some type of stereo that I could play music on. Even if that meant a boombox on the dash run by D batteries.

The first car I drove had an 8 track deck in it. I know I am absolutely dating myself but I really do not care. The 8 tracks I personally bought with my own money were Journey “Escape”, AC-DC “For Those About to Rock We Salute You”, one from KISS and one other that I cannot remember now. I can remember I played these so much I wore them out. You remember, that sickening crunchy crinkly noise the tape made as it got stuck in the tape deck. If you didn’t act quick enough it was a goner and you could never listen to it again. Or you had to tape it where it was torn, careful to make it exactly the same size only to hear a lapse with no sound as that part fed through the machine.

So the next car I drove had a stylish cassette deck in it. Now I was able to not only purchase cassette tapes, but I could record my own music off the AM radio. If I was lucky, I could carefully wait by the radio, praying the dj would shut up before the song started where the recording was all music and no talking. That did not occur often. I also recorded from vinyl records as well which was a painfully slow process to get it recorded just right without a lot of background or excessive noise.

I still have a ton of those cassette tapes. I even have a player that can still play them. Sad but true! It’s still really good music but still I cringe when that sickening crinkly noise occurs and I rush over to the tape deck to pull out the cassette as ribbons of brown shiny tape dangle. Once it’s all disengaged from the machine carefully, then you gotta get a pencil to roll it all back up very patiently. Such was the life we lived.

There is a lot of music that transports me back to the days when life was so much simpler. When all I had to worry about was the sickening crunch of the tape being munched by the tape deck. Where I and my friends could ride around in my car on the drag on a Friday night with the music blaring, bopping back and forth and singing at the top of our lungs.

What songs instantly transport you back in time? I have many that all have significance, and I find that I always remember most if not all the words to them. I can’t remember a lot of other things it seems as I age, but this never changes. Try to stop and sing the music sometime! It’s good for the soul!!


Kathie Hitt