Ultimate Blog Challenge

Ultimate Blog Challenge
Participating in...

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Murderous Makeup, Milady!

Great googly moogly, hold on to your makeup bags ladies! Lead and other ‘impurities’ are lurking in your makeup. Guess what else could be there? Arsenic, Beryllium, Cadmium, Nickel, Thallium, and Quaternium are all possible candidates. Click on each name for a link to info about that specific substance. That gorgeous label, with the fine print that I cannot read even with trifocals, doesn’t even list them by name calling them ‘impurities.’ 

Possible effects of these and other toxins are listed below. Our skin being the wonderful absorbing organ that it is makes sure that our bodies get a dose of these as often as we apply these products. As if normal female issues aren’t enough we add hormone disruption, cancer, neurological problems, memory loss, mood swings, reproductive and developmental disorders, kidney problems, headaches, vomiting, diarrhea, lung damage, dermatitis and hair loss. Smacks forehead, “Doh, now I understand and have an excuse for any and/or all of these things. Honey, it’s my makeup making me have a headache/not remember/be moody.”

With all humor aside, I wonder if increasingly the small amounts of toxins in our personal care and household products little by little are adding up to big health problems down the road. If you think about how every day, we get up, shower using several personal care products, style our hair, brush our teeth, apply makeup and skin care products, and shave etc. If small amounts are present in all the products we use, then small doses could actually add up to larger exposure. Health problems seem to keep increasing and more and more information is available daily. Coincedence? Maybe, maybe not.

Do I think the manufacturers are doing this on purpose? Not really, but I do think they do the least possible thing to make the most possible profit. If that includes less expensive fillers then so be it. It is certainly something to ponder. I don’t worry personally, because I switched my entire family to natural personal care and household items. I can and will control my household since I cannot control the exposure in other environments.

What made me write this? Recent articles about lead in lipstick (click here for article) and another article about makeup (click here for article). Reading these made me think of something that I thought was pretty funny when I was younger. Remember Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Tim Burton’s Batman in 1989? Kind of macabre and definitely too much since these people died immediately, but it still made me think of it and wondered if a statement might have been being made even that far back. Click here for the video from the movie.

My hope is that you’ll do your own research. I wasn’t concerned until I learned about Quaternium being in baby products. I didn’t care if it was in small concentrations, I didn’t want my children exposed to it. Better to be safe than sorry is my mantra. If you would like to know more about what I’m using, I will be glad to share what I’ve found.

Kathie Hitt

Offering green solutions for many of life’s challenges. Contact me today for more information on how you can use convenient, natural solutions for less.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, Quaternium is not also known as Formaldehyde.

    Secondly, the products you're most likely referring to (ones with Quaternium-15) have been proven to be gentler than water. With water having more impurities as well.

    And remember, just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safer or healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct, I will amend my blog. The link when you click on Quaternium shows formaldehyde is the impurity which is where I took the info from after skimming the article.

    I do agree that just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safer or healthier. This is why I also say to do your own research. All products are not created equal.

    Thank you for the feedback and have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete