Ultimate Blog Challenge

Ultimate Blog Challenge
Participating in...

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Mentors Shape Our Lives

I reflect on my life today and think about those who have influenced me. Mentors come in all shapes and sizes and appear throughout your life. Some of these people are direct influences and some indirectly influence and shape you into the person you become. In my reflections, I am realizing that many of these people were true mentors, even if I was not aware of this at the time they were in my life.

Many of my teachers and those who were in the school system were mentors to me. I looked up to many of my teachers and loved to learn. All of my band directors were mentors and there were those teachers we loved and those teachers we despised. However, I learned much from both those I loved and those I despised. They mentored me to bring out the best in myself.

There have been people at work who took me under their wing. Carol was my first mentor at work and she taught me so much more than just things related to housewares and Wal-Mart. If you but listen and pay attention to what the people you surround yourself with say and do, you can learn so much. Be wise about who you choose to surround yourself with.

I have found mentors in all areas of my life. Some are older and wiser, some are younger and have unique insight into things that made me pause and realize my views needed to change. Some of my mentors started as friends and continue on that way, being a good second set of eyes and ears and a welcome double check to what my gut tells me is right and true.

Last but not least, is my new Dream Manager and mentor. I am eagerly anticipating the wisdom and hope that this is the start of another lengthy mentoring period in my life.

Everyone you come into contact with is a potential mentor in your life. You just have to be open to the possibilities. Be aware and learn from each person you interact with and you will enrich your life and probably theirs as well.


Do you recognize those who have mentored you? Have you ever sought out a mentor? Please share your experience. 

Comments and/or questions are Welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment